Making consistent dental checkups every six months is important when it comes to long-term oral health. However, as many of us know, emergencies can happen to anyone, no matter how healthy your teeth and gums are. Many regular appointments can take several weeks to open up, so it’s important to know where to find emergency dentists near you. We are located in Elmwood Park, Illinois and can help people who have insurance as well as no insurance.
Is This A Dental Emergency?
Answer these questions to determine if this incident requires emergency treatment:
- Is the pain severe?
- Are you bleeding from your mouth?
- Were you hit in the face or mouth by a hard object?
- Are there any of the teeth loose or damaged?
- Are the cheeks or mouth swollen?
- Do you see or feel swelling in your gums?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then you need to see a dentist as soon as possible.
There are home remedies that can assist during an emergency before an appointment, including:
- A cold compress to help with swelling
- Warm water and salt to rinse and help clean infected areas or abscesses
- Anti-inflammatory medication for pain (avoid aspirin and gels)
- Gauzes and a hot compress for soft tissue injuries
Please note that, while some home remedies can help reduce pain, most are not long-term treatments. Scheduling an emergency dental appointment will not only help alleviate the pain as soon as possible but can contribute to ensuring that there is no further damage to your teeth or gums.
Making An Emergency Appointment With A Dentist
Contact your regular dentist for information on available same-day appointments or nearby urgent treatment guidance. Clearly describe your symptoms to be given professional advice on the next steps to take.
If an emergency occurs outside of your regular dentist’s office hours, then you may need to get in contact with a dental provider out of your insurance. Some dental clinics offer a 24-hour emergency dental service, but they are harder to find.
Emergency treatment costs more than regular appointments due to the urgency, regardless of your location, but ensuring that you are receiving quality treatment in a timely matter is the top priority in these procedures. You don’t have to be registered with a practice to receive emergency treatment from them.
Preventing Dental Emergencies In The Future
We cannot always prevent emergencies, but there are ways to reduce the risk of having to go to the emergency room:
- Brush your teeth after every meal
- Floss your teeth at least once a day
- Attend routine dental checkups every six months
- Wear a mouth guard during sports
- Avoid chewing on ice as it can wear down enamel and chip or fracture teeth
Why Trust Taglia Advanced Dentistry?
Taglia Dentistry is here for you. We are committed to providing the best service to our customers, whether you are having an emergency or a regular checkup. All of our dentists and specialists are skilled and experienced with up-to-date knowledge of cutting-edge procedures and technology to provide you with the best experience.
Contact our Elmwood Park dental office for more information on emergency services and to schedule your appointment. We are near Oak Park, Melrose Park, River Forest, Maywood, Franklin Park, and Bellwood, IL.