Spring travel is exciting no matter how old you are. Whether you’re going to Cancun for a week or taking a camping trip for the weekend, preparing for “just-in-case” situations while out of town is important. Here are some simple Spring Dental Tips to ensure your oral health doesn’t ruin your vacation.
Tips Before You Go
One important Spring dental tip is a precautionary measure. If you are experiencing any dental issues or feel pain in your teeth, gums or jaw, make an appointment with your dentist a couple of weeks before your trip. Your dentist will examine you to ensure that there are no further issues.
Traveling by plane can cause severe pain to a compromised tooth and create highly sensitive pockets between your teeth and nerves. Having a quick check-up before your trip can help you avoid this from happening and ruining your prepaid trip.
What To Pack For Maintaining Good Dental Health
Just like making sure you have your underwear during your vacation, it’s crucial to ensure that you have the essential tools for your oral health.
Here are some Spring dental tips for when you pack:
- Do not store your toothbrush in a plastic baggy after use. Instead, purchase a bristle head cover or foldable that allow ventilation and avoids bacteria build up.
- Don’t bring your electric toothbrush. Instead, invest in a plain toothbrush in case you forget batteries for your electric toothbrush or cannot charge it during your trip.
- Pack travel size floss to use after your meals while on vacation.
- Bring travel size mouthwash and regularly use as you would at home.
- If you are flying to your destination, the Transportation Security Authority (TSA) will not allow any liquids or gels that are in containers larger than 100 ml.
- Your dental insurance card can come in handy in case you experience a dental emergency while away from home. Check with your insurance provider to find in-network dentists at the location where you are traveling. Also, write down your local dentist’s contact information (address, phone, and email) in case someone needs to reach them.
- If you know that a dentist will be hard to find where you are traveling, then consider investing in a dental emergency kit. These are inexpensive but can be a lifesaver for your oral health. You should have the following: painkiller; dental floss; a cold compress, and temporary dental cement or dental wax.
- Since luggage gets lost far too frequently, remember to pack your essentials in your personal item or carry-on bag.
While You’re On Vacation This Spring
Just as you would at home, follow your proper dental hygiene regimen, such as brushing and flossing at least twice a day. Follow these tips at all times, not just during Spring vacation:
- Avoid drinking too many sugary drinks
- Use the right tools (not your teeth) to open packages and bottles
- Avoid chewing on hard candy and ice cubes
- Drink plenty of water
Are you going on vacation this Spring? Don’t forget to set up a check-up at our Elmwood Park dental office and keep in mind these tips above. We are located near Melrose Park, Oak Park, River Forest, Franklin Park, Bellwood, and Maywood IL.